Thursday, June 14, 2012

Final Reflection on Integrating Technology into the Classroom

During the first week of class I was asked to explain what my own personal theory of learning was.  I strongly believed that each student has a unique way of learning and that as a teacher I needed to use that knowledge of individual differences to structure the learning environment in a way that facilitated learning based on a variety of learning theories.  I discussed how important it is to provide reinforcement, to allow time for students to learn through hands on activities, and to provide opportunities to construct knowledge by collaborating with others.  My initial thinking has not changed, but it certainly has been enhanced by the knowledge and understanding of learning theory and how to use technology in my teaching practice.  I understand much more clearly that reinforcement and feedback are important to student success because it is a powerful motivator and enhances achievement (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 41).  According to brain research and cognitivism, students need a variety of modalities to retain and recall new information, which includes reciprocal teaching, problem based learning, simulations, hands on activities and the use of visuals and graphics, which supports my opinion that students need hands on activities (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011a).  Constructionism and social constructionism are important learning theories for teachers to consider as they design learning experiences because research has demonstrated that people learn best when they build an artifact, especially when collaborating with others to construct knowledge (Kim, 2001, as cited by Orey, 2001).  I have modified my thinking about my personal learning theory to include the use of technology to enhance student learning in a student centered learning environment and am moving away from what remnants of teacher centered instruction that I have been doing.  Technology plays a huge part in engagement and motivation of students and I want to create a student centered learning environment where technology is the tool that facilitates their learning.

Next year, I am going to create a student centered classroom that makes use of specific technology to enhance student learning.  I have tried out several new things this year that made use of collaborative and cooperative learning, however, Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski (2007) recommend that cooperative learning should be combined with other structures (p. 140), so I would like to model and scaffold the use of word processing applications and organizing and brainstorming software to facilitate note taking and summarizing.  Microsoft Word has several applications that I can use to create note-taking templates, PowerPoint templates, and summary frames.  I would like to practice more with brainstorming software such as www.spiderscribe.com and bring in the mobile laptop cart to facilitate the use of technology.  Lastly, I would like to incorporate the use of web site creation for my cultural foods class and interior design.  Obviously, this course has exposed me to a variety of learning tools that are student centered and I want to share what I have learned with not only my students, but with my colleagues, too.  I am giving a workshop in the fall that involves sharing some of the tools that are available to enhance learning using technology.

One long term goal that I have is to learn how to use Excel and spreadsheet software and incorporate its use into my classroom practice.  I am completely intimidated by it and have no real experience with it.  So, I plan to take a class or some online tutorials in the fall.  Another long term goal that I have is to share technology with my peers.  The first step is the workshop in August, but since I am on the newly formed Technology committee at the high school, I plan to be heavily involved in planning staff development opportunities and suggest peer visits in classrooms that are already incorporating technology.

My own personal learning theory has changed as I add technology to engage and motivate students and create a student centered learning environment where technology is the tool that facilitates their learning.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011a). Program two: Brain research and learning [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011b). Program thirteen: Technology: Instructional tool vs. learning tool [Video webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Retrieved from http://laureate.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5700267&CPURL=laureate.ecollege.com&Survey=1&47=2594577&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=0&bhcp=1

Orey, M. (Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

1 comments:

Prudy Jo's Technology SpEd Blog said...

I agree, my learning theory did not change. It was enhanced by all that I have learned.
I think your goals sound great. I love excel! I have to say, I honestly use it daily!!! I do not use it with my students as much as I should. I taught a class to teachers this June on Excel. Next year I am teaching a two day class on excel. Please feel free to email me or contact me via my blog if you have any Excel questions.

Post a Comment