Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Creating a class blog for my Child Development class.

In class this week, we were asked to come up with an idea for using a blog with our students.  I will be teaching a Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) class next trimester called Exploring Childhood.  The class consists of a mixed group of male and female 9-12 graders.   In a nutshell, the learning objectives for the course are to identify developmental characteristics of two to five years olds and analyze and apply knowledge of child development theory toward the planning and implementation of a five week preschool.  There is a lot to process in this 12 week class.  Students collaborate in teams of three or four as they plan activities for the preschoolers.  They are expected to adjust activities to the age and developmental levels of the children they are working with.  They are also expected to observe children as the engage in play and collect anecdotal evidence to support established theory.   In the past, this class has consisted of a lot of discussion and feedback, seemingly mostly on my part, as we evaluated the activities that students planned for the preschoolers and related back to established theory.  There is a considerable amount of scaffolding taking place as I model my thinking, however, I am wondering if perhaps using a blog might be advantageous as students begin to apply their own knowledge and experience to this process.  Knobel and Wilber (2009) suggest that “collaborative class blogs are helpful in any subject area.”  Why not FACS?

Thinking along the lines of using the blog for reflection and extended study as suggested in Chapter 2 of our reading this week, I visualize posing a question each week for students to respond to that relates to our study of child development (Richardson, 2009, p. 33).  As students reflect on what they are learning, they can use resources that I provide on my class blog to extend their thinking.  I would require them to respond to the blog posts of at least two other students and provide feedback on those posts.  In the video segment Evolution of Technology and Pedagogy, Dr. Christopher Dede suggests that technology isn’t going to make a difference to our students unless we change how they are learning with that technology (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).  I think that choosing a blog over in-class discussion will be achieving that end because they will be doing something different.   In her blog post, Michaelsen (2012) shares the perspective of Peter Senge who wrote the The Fifth Discipline:  “The problem with school he says is that it is very individualistic…it is never about the smartest guys in the room, it is about what we can do collectively.”  All students will be reflecting on a much deeper level and engaging in a higher level of critical thinking and reflection with their peers.  I am hoping that the discussions my students will have will be far more engaging and interesting to them than if I was directing them in the front of the class.  
One thing I would have to spend some time doing at the very beginning of this experience would be to prepare the students for blogging etiquette and safety.  Richardson (2009, p. 45-46) gives guidance on how to begin with students by introducing them to blogs and letting small groups respond to the class blog; creating clear expectations with administration and parents before students create their own blogs is also paramount.  I am excited at the prospect of creating a class blog for this class.  I think both my students and I will find that we have a lot to learn.
Knobel, Michele, & Wilber, Dana (2009, Mar).  Let's Talk 2.0.  Educational Leadership, 66 (6), 20-24.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program two. Evolution of technology and  pedagogy [Webcast]. Understanding the impact of technology on education, work, and society. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Michaelsen, Ann S. (2012, March 6).  Peter Senge-what schools need to focus on now!  [Web log comment].   Retrieved from

Richardson, W. (2009). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press.

8 comments:

Prudy Jo's Technology SpEd Blog said...

I love your idea!
You have really hit all the aspects of what a blog should be. I was really hit by what W. Richardson said that a blog should engage student learning and make students/people who read the blog use higher thinking. Not only do I feel that your blog idea for your class meets this recommendation, I feel your post fits this.
I read your blog twice to make sure that I was getting all the information I needed. I feel you have a well written blog that makes me "think" about not only our class but my classroom as well.
Thank you for sharing.

roberc08 said...

I think that creating and using a blog in your Family and Consumer Sciences class is a great way to use technology to have discussions in this class. I think the blog will allow the students to feel comfortable sharing their ideas and thoughts about specific topics. Using a blog also allows the students to easily agree or disagree with their peers without confronting them in person. Since you said this is a mixed class of 9th- 12th grade boys and girls, I assume that not all the students will know each other. Blogging will be a great way to break the ice with the students and let them get to know each other through discussion of topics in class. One question that came to my mind was when are the students going to have a chance to blog? Will they be using class time or be expected to add to the blog from home? I would suggest that depending on your student population and their access to computers that the students add to the blog at home or at the library at school after class hours. Although blogging is another way to share ideas and have class discussions, I feel that in class discussions are just as beneficial. I think it would be valuable to keep class discussions and to add the blog for assignments outside of class. I think the students will enjoy using technology to complete assignments outside of the classroom!

Prudy Jo's Technology SpEd Blog said...

Roberco08-
You pose some good questions. In HS the students might have more flexible time to Blog.

I like the idea of doing it outside of the classroom. It gives the students time to express their ideas after time to think about the days lessons.

loliver said...

Charlotte,

Fortunately, we have three computer labs in our media center and I have reserved time every Friday for students to blog for the entire trimester with three days built in at the beginning of the trimester for teaching about Internet safety and blogging etiquette. I am pretty excited about trying this out. I am contemplating the use of www.edmodo.com as another option.

I understand your concerns about missing out on in-class discussion. I visualize using the blog on Fridays as a place to process what students have learned during the week. Students will have ample opportunity for class discussion throughout the week and the blog will be a place for expanding on those discussions. At first it will be to respond to what they are learning about in class and to ask questions. As we begin the process of planning preschool, students will be synthesizing knowledge into application and that is where I think the real discussions will happen. Since preschool is held twice a week, we can use Wednesday for in class discussion and Friday to respond in our blogs. I will scaffold this process through explicit instruction and modeling and eventually allow students to direct the discussions on their own. In the past, I have done this exclusively in class, using the blog will add a dimension where I believe students will engage in more in-depth discussion and make more connections. I think this will get students fired up and they will be adding to the blog on their own time. I am pretty excited about the prospect.

Prudy Jo's Technology SpEd Blog said...

LOliver-
I am impressed with your planning. You have really though your lesson through. We only have one computer lab and it is always being used for classes (Computer teacher teaching lessons). I wish I could reserve it to use for my lessons. I think I could use the computers in my classroom becuase I have small groups.

I also have a preschool class three days a week. I teach SpEd preschool. Monday is motor group and language lab. Tuesday/Thursday are open days for me. Until I read your blog and comments I did not think about doing a blog or computer work with students so young.
Are you going to blog with the preschoolers or about your lessons in your HS class.
Do you think blogging would work for students so young? (Preschool)

loliver said...

Pru, The preschool sessions run for five weeks and are planned and implemented by my Child Development class. The blogging would be done by my students and would entail sharing insights and experiences concerning the preschool implementation. Preschool children would not be likely candidates for blogging, however, there are many preschool aged children who use technology. The most important thing I would consider when working with two to five year olds would be to balance the use of technology with good old fashioned play.

Lisa Vasquez said...

You have a lot of great ideas.

You are so right about establishing etiquette for blog contributions. I have used discussion boards and blogs within a class Blackboard site with my 8th grade students. Teens are accustomed to texting and posting comments on social media sites. It is important to help them differentiate between the types of language, spelling, and content that is acceptable in the class blog from those they may routinely use in through other forums. Even when you set very clear exptectations and limitations, the quality and content of postings may not be what you hope for at the beginning, if students do not have previous experiences participating in this type of blog.

In my school, for example, my students don't have many experiences with forums such as our class blogs in other classes. It takes a little work to help some of them understand what constitutes a quality contribution.

loliver said...

I think that is why teachers don't always want to take the time to set up something like that because it takes extra time and effort in the beginning to prepare students for the experience.

Post a Comment